During Microsoft’s Xbox E3 briefing, Microsoft showcased a massively jampacked line up of Xbox One-exclusive titles and announced backward compatibility, fueling the greatest games line up in Xbox history for this holiday and beyond. Microsoft also shared how it is making Xbox Live, the world’s premier gaming community, get even better, while giving fans an early look at how advanced technology can take their gaming further with the new Xbox Elite Controller and Microsoft HoloLens.
The Xbox E3 keynote, which can be view above, packed numerous world gameplay debuts, premieres and trailers into an action-packed 90-minute spectacle for fans, including news from gaming’s biggest franchises.
The show opened with a bang as world premiere gameplay of Halo 5: Guardians included the reveal of the all-new massive scale multiplayer mode, Warzone, where up to 24 players battle with friendly and enemy AI characters joining in the fight.
The all-new Ford GT supercar, which is set to debut in Forza Motorsport 6, made a dramatic entrance by descending from the rafters followed by an appearance by Henry Ford III.
Microsoft Studios, in partnership with legendary Japanese game designer Keiji Inafune, Mark Pacini and the teams at Comcept and Armature Studio (creators of the Metroid Prime franchise), debuted an all-new Xbox One exclusive titled ReCore.
Developer Mojang AB demonstrated a fully-featured version of “Minecraft” for Microsoft HoloLens that allows players to see the “Minecraft” world in an entirely different way.
Electronic Arts’ Peter Moore took the stage to announced that the EA Access Vault now includes Titanfall. In addition, the EA Access Vault will be open to all Xbox Live Gold Members to play the best of EA for free during the week of E3.
The company also announced Game Preview on Xbox One: a new way for fans to purchase work-in-progress digital titles and participate in the development process by giving feedback to developers as they continue to update their games. Game Preview is now available as a pilot program on Xbox One.
After these groundbreaking announcements, Microsoft unleashed a fury of upcoming titles:
- Ashen (Xbox One Exclusive): This action RPG is about a wanderer in search of a place to call home. There is no sun, and the only natural light comes from eruptions that cover the land in ash. This is a world where nothing lasts, no matter how tightly you cling to it. At its core, Ashen is about forging relationships. Players can guide those they trust to their camp; together, you might just stand a chance.
- Beyond Eyes (Xbox One and PC): In this modern fairy tale about finding courage and friendship, step by step you’ll uncover an incredible world, carefully guiding Rae, a young blind girl, on a life-changing journey. Available 2015.
- Cuphead (Xbox One Exclusive): This single-player or co-op run-and-gun platformer is heavily focused on boss battles. Inspired by 1930s cartoons, the visuals are hand drawn and inked and the music is all original jazz recordings. Cuphead and Mugman traverse strange worlds, acquire new weapons, learn powerful supermoves and uncover hidden secrets.
- Dark Souls III: Known for delivering a high level of unrelenting challenges to gamers, the next chapter of the Dark Souls saga is back. Developer FromSoftware returns to create a new blighted world for players to explore. The embers of a once proud kingdom set the stage for this new adventure. Players will battle against fearsome enemies and bosses with a variety of weapons and magic through a mysterious land riddled with secrets. Available 2016.
- Fable Legends (Xbox One and PC): Claim your legacy as a fearless Hero or a cunning Villain as you clash against one another in thrilling 4-versus-1 battles to determine the fate of Albion in this free-to-play action RPG from Lionhead Studios. Available Holiday 2015.
- Fallout 4: The game is currently under development at Bethesda Game Studios. Fallout 4 is the next generation of open-world gaming where every second is a fight for survival, and every choice is yours. All purchases on Xbox One will include a token for Fallout 3 through the first 90 days after the game’s release. Available 10th November, 2015.
- FIFA 16: This year’s iteration innovates across the entire pitch to deliver a balanced, authentic, and exciting football experience that lets you play your way. With innovative gameplay features, it brings confidence in defending, control in midfield, and gives you the tools to create more moments of magic than ever. Available 22nd September, 2015.
- Forza Motorsport 6 (Xbox One Exclusive): Race over 450 Forzavista cars in the most beautiful and comprehensive racing game of this generation. Available 15th September, 2015.
- Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (Xbox One and PC): Play the first at its best. Experience the title that launched one of the most celebrated sagas in entertainment. Remastered in 1080p and modernized for Xbox One, Gears of War: Ultimate Edition is packed full of new content, including five campaign chapters never released on Xbox, and will feature an early access to the Gears of War 4 multiplayer beta in 2016. Available 25th August, 2015.
- Gears of War 4 (Xbox One Exclusive): Finally, the long awaited new chapter in the award-winning franchise begins a new saga on Xbox One, coming in 2016.
- Gigantic (Xbox One and PC): Get ready for a new free-to-play shooter MOBA where heroes battle alongside a massive guardian. Free-to-play on Windows 10 and Xbox One, Gigantic tests teamwork, tactics and timing as you confront a five-story foe and conquer a fantasy battlefield.
- Halo 5: Guardians (Xbox One Exclusive): A mysterious and unstoppable force threatens the galaxy, the Master Chief is missing and his loyalty is being questioned. Experience the most dramatic Halo story to date in a four-player cooperative epic that spans three worlds. Challenge friends and rivals in new multiplayer modes: Warzone, massive 24-player battles, and Arena, pure 4-versus-4 competitive combat. Available 27th October, 2015.
- Madden NFL 16: Be the playmaker with all-new controls that allow you to dominate in the battle for air supremacy. New QB mechanics including body-relative throws and touch passes provide unprecedented depth and control of the football while under center. Combined with a new risk-reward catch and pass-defend system, get ready for the biggest wow moments in franchise history. Available 25th August, 2015.
- Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2: For the first time in franchise history, zombies have taken over and plants are on the attack. With new characters, more ways to play and immersive new maps, the game taps into the heart of what fans loved about the original and goes above and beyond to deliver the biggest, craziest and most over-the-top shooter. Available 2016.
- Rare Replay (Xbox One Exclusive): To celebrate its 30th anniversary, Rare brings together the adventures of its iconic characters in a collection of 30 games that span the decades. From its earliest 2-D classics to Xbox 360 triumphs, Rare Replay is lovingly presented for Xbox One and delivers a treasure trove for veteran players and newcomers alike at an amazing value of ERP $29.99. Available 4th August, 2015.
- ReCore (Xbox One Exclusive): From legendary creator Keiji Inafune and the makers of Metroid Prime comes a classic action-adventure reimagined for a new generation. As one of the last remaining humans, forge friendships with an eclectic cast of robots and lead them on an epic adventure across a mysterious, ever-changing world. Available Spring 2016.
- Rise of the Tomb Raider (Timed Exclusive): Coming 10th November, 2015 and featuring epic, high-octane action moments set in the most beautifully hostile environments, Rise of the Tomb Raider delivers a cinematic survival action adventure where you will join Lara Croft on her first tomb raiding expedition as she seeks to discover the secret of immortality.
- Sea of Thieves (Xbox One and PC): The freedom of the pirate life awaits in Rare’s next adventurous voyage coming exclusively to Xbox One and Windows 10. Available Holiday 2016.
- Tacoma (Xbox One and PC): Discovery. Exploration. Isolation. What is life like 200,000 miles from Earth? Uncover the mysteries held by Lunar Transfer Station Tacoma and its crew, living at the edge of humanity’s reach. Tacoma is the next game from the creators of Gone Home.
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege: Inspired by the reality of counterterrorist operatives across the world, R6 Siege invites players to master the art of destruction. Intense close-quarter confrontations, high lethality, tactics, team play, and tension are at the center of the experience. Available 13th October, 2015.
- Tom Clancy’s The Division: This game features an immersive online open-world action role-playing game, players will team up with other Division agents to reclaim New York City from the chaos of a deadly pandemic. Play the beta first on Xbox One. And after a few bumps in the road, it is currently scheduled to be available in 2016.
Along with these new games, Microsoft (finally) unveiled a much requested functionality: Backward compatibility!
This holiday, Xbox One will be the only console to support backward compatibility natively for select Xbox 360 games, for free, and all with Xbox One features including screenshots, broadcasting and GameDVR. Backward compatibility is one of the most-requested fan features, and more than 100 classic Xbox 360 games will be available at launch, with more to come.
While not all Xbox 360 titles will be available at launch, fans can submit what titles they’d like to see added via Xbox Feedback, and Xbox will work with game publishers to continue to release new titles regularly.
Microsoft announced that the new Xbox app brings Xbox Live friends to Windows 10 PCs and tablets, and lets players stream their Xbox One games to any Windows 10 device for free.
Are you all ready for Microsoft to drop all of this awesomeness?