Foam Sword Studios just announced Knights and Bikes. It’s a co-op action adventure game set in a beautifully hand painted 3D world, inspired by movies like The Goonies and ET and games like Earthbound and Secret of Mana. The game’s Kickstarter campaign is currently live with a target of £100,000.
The game takes place on Penfurzy Island during the 1980s and tells the story of two heroine: Nessa and Demelza. Together they explore the island both on foot and on their bikes, searching for treasure, discovering new locations, recruiting new gang members and getting into trouble.
When their investigation awakens the malevolent spirits of history, the girls must use their unique skills, and their bikes, to save the island. They deal with the threat with bike-jousting, Frisbee-throwing, puddle-stomping and whatever other kid-like schemes they can improvise. And with each islander they rescue they learn new abilities to enable them to do more and travel further.
Here are some of the planned features for the game:
- Play through the game with AI helpers or with friends.
- Jump on your bikes and explore the island following the ever trusty beak of Captain Honkers, your pet goose.
- Trade collected treasure to upgrade your bike and acquire new abilities.
- Rescue friends and loved ones, finding ancient relics, and solving mysteries.
- Fight like kids do by using your ingenuity to splash enemies with mud, swerve a Frisbee past their shields, hack video game hardware to use against them, or make a fast getaway on your bikes
The studio was created by experienced developers Rex Crowle and Moo Yu who worked on games such as Tearaway, LittleBigPlanet, EpicWin and Moshi Monsters, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet & Clank respectively.