Last year, The Pokémon Company and Niantic Inc.revealed that they were working together to create Pokémon Go. This week, they have divulged gameplay details.
- Some Pokémon will appear near their preferred habitat, i.e. water Pokémon will appear near bodies of water
- Players’ smartphones will vibrate to let them know there is a Pokémon nearby
- Pokémon can be caught by using a smartphone to throw a Pokéball
- Pokeballs and other items can be found at “PokéStops”, which can be found at various landmarks or events
- Players’ Trainer level will increase as they play, letting them catch stronger Pokémon and obtain better items
- Some Pokémon can be evolved by catching multiple of the same Pokémon
- Pokémon Eggs can be found at PokéStops, which can be hatched by walking a set distance
- Achievement medals can be obtained through the completion of challenges
- Players can join teams and have Gym battles with each other
Currently, Pokémon Go is only available in Japan and is currently being tested. Other parts of the world can expect to see it appear later on this year on both the App Store and Google Play.