The results of the 35th Golden Joystick Awards presented with OMEN by HP are finally revealed. The winners in 25 categories were announced during an awards ceremony at the Bloomsbury Big Top and live on Twitch.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild took home Ultimate Game of the Year, Nintendo Game of the Year, Critics’ Choice Award, Best Audio, with Nintendo EPD also collecting Studio of the Year
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds won Best Multiplayer Game and PC Game of the Year with Horizon Zero Dawn winning Best Storytelling and PlayStation Game of the Year with Ashly Burch scooping Best Gaming Performance and Breakthrough Award.
“The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild picks up an incredible five awards, including the Best Studio category, making it the first game to win both the Critics’ Choice Award and public-voted Ultimate Game of the Year award. It’s a remarkable haul and Nintendo’s once-in-a-generation adventure deserves the universal acclaim. Breath of the Wild changes the way we view open worlds, with instinctive yet deep controls that encourage experimentation, appealing to gamers of all ages and abilities.” Dan Dawkins, Global Editor-In-Chief, GamesRadar+.
New eSports categories were also added this year with Overwatch winning the coveted eSports Game of the Year category.
Here is the full list of winners:
- Best Storytelling – Horizon Zero Dawn
- Best Visual Design – Cuphead
- Best Audio – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Best Gaming Performance sponsored by The Sun – Ashly Burch (Horizon Zero Dawn)
- Best Indie Game in collaboration with Square Enix Collective – Friday the 13th: The Game
- Best Multiplayer Game sponsored by GT Omega – PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
- Studio of the Year – Nintendo EPD
- Best VR Game – Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
- eSports Play of the Year sponsored by Intel – Agilities
- eSports Team of the Year – Seoul Dynasty (formerly Lunatic-Hai)
- eSports Game of the Year sponsored by OMEN by HP – Overwatch
- Best Streamer / Broadcaster – Markiplier
- Handheld / Mobile Game of the Year sponsored by Bespoke Arcades – Pokémon Sun and Moon
- Nintendo Game of the Year – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- PlayStation Game of the Year – Horizon Zero Dawn
- Xbox Game of the Year – Cuphead
- PC Game of the Year – PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
- Critics’ Choice Award – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Breakthrough Award sponsored by Badfly – Ashly Burch
- Hall of Fame – Final Fantasy
- Most Wanted Award – The Last of Us Part II
- Still Playing Award – World of Tanks
- Outstanding Contribution to the UK Games Industry sponsored by The Telegraph – Debbie Bestwick MBE
- Lifetime Achievement – Sid Meier
- Ultimate Game of the Year – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild