Each week we’ll give you the low-down on the games that have been keeping the GGS Gamer staff busy on their consoles, PCs and handhelds.
Here’s what we’ve been playing this week …
- Uncharted: Lost Legacy (PS4) – Really enjoyed playing this (even though the last fifteen minutes’ worth of balls-to-the-wall action seemed a little at odds to the gentle exploration we’d done to date), and although I loved the chemistry of Chloe and Nadine, the Hype Train almost derailed for me, as it wasn’t quite as good as some were leading me to believe. Excellent value for money, though – it’s a lot of game for the price!
- Beholder (PS4) – Okay, so I’ve only played a couple of hours so far, but man, there’s a lot to do. Finding the manoeuvrability difficult given the 2D style, and it feels as though the UI was written very much with a tablet/mobile in mind. I also seem to suck at completing the tasks, but I suspect that’s a Vikki Problem and not a game design one…
- Portal (XBX – BC) – Played and completed again, and managed to take GLaDOS down on my first try, which has never happened before as I typically suck at timed-events usually! It doesn’t matter how many times I play it, completing Test 19 and sneaking through the back alleys of Aperture never fail to delight me. Next up: Portal 2!
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (XB1) – Either other people are getting worse, or we’re getting better – I’m not sure which – but we’re pretty competent as a group now. It seems either we die instantly, or we make it to the top 10 – hardly ever in between. Still finding the rubberbanding and crappy graphics quietly frustrating, though.
- Dragon Ball FighterZ (PS4) – I’ve been lucky enough to play this for the last week and the review is live on the site here! The combat, the story, the soundtrack and those goddamn beautiful visuals! It’s definitely my number one Dragon Ball game now! …sorry Budokai 3…
- Dissidia Final Fantasy NT Beta (PS4) – Just been trying out each out the characters after the character rotations and this game is perfect to play with some friends! Guys, we should definitely play this together for a video when the full version launches!
- Persona 4 Golden (PSVita) – I’ll play this game until I’m dead. Fun fact: I returned to this game because Persona 5 bored the hell out of me when I started it on release day in 2017.
- Forza Horizon 3 (XB1) – Definitely the best racer I’ve played in a long time. So much to do. Picked up the Expansion pass for dirt cheap a few weeks ago. Loving the Blizzard Mountain expansion.
- Rogue Trooper Redux (PS4) – Revisiting one of my favorite shooters from the PS2 era. Rebellion made a great gem with this one.
- Assassin’s Creed Origins (PS4) – I’m taking my time with this. The side-quests so well made, each one doing well to follow a coherent story that, as we all know, is rarely the case with side quests in games. I’ve been blown away by Origins so far, having finally got through the second set of assassination targets, I’m really hoping it’s not over yet!
- FIFA 17 (PS4) – I know it’s not FIFA 18, I know it’s not PES 2018, but I just want to play football – and Assassin’s Creed: Origins just doesn’t have football… yet (scribbles down a new DLC idea for Assassin’s Creed). But seriously, I love the team I’ve put together in my career mode, and I’m just not ready to move on – oh don’t look at me like that.
- Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) – I’m still trucking along with Horizon Zero Dawn, and as much as the original premise of robot dinosaur sucked me in, I feel the merge of sci fi and fantasy (so far, I’m only about halfway through) is woefully underutilised. They have the really neat concept of digging up items that they think are ancient artifacts – ancient chimes are a set of keys – but from the sounds of Meridian, it was made out to be a modern day skyscraper kingdom, not something ripped out of every generic fantasy novel.
TLDR: I hope this picks up and goes from good to spectacular because they’ve got one hell of a concept.
- Bloodborne (PS4) – I’ve pretty much finished now (sad face), though there is still one ending I need to get. Currently, I’m working my way through the Challice dungeons for the platinum. When I’m not doing that, I’m running around old areas checking that I haven’t missed anything and re-reading item descriptions and just generally trying to piece together the details of the story. Oh, and I may have accidentally bought The Old Hunters DLC. Oops.
- Pipe Push Paradise (PC) – I think Bloodborne’s hardest boss was easier than these bloody puzzles.