Originally released for the Dreamcast in 2000 and 2001, Shenmue I & II is an open world action adventure combining jujitsu combat, investigative sleuthing, RPG elements, and memorable mini-games. It pioneered many aspects of modern gaming, including open world city exploration, and was the game that coined the Quick Time Event (QTE). It was one of the first games with a persistent open world, where day cycles to night, weather changes, shops open and close and NPCs go about their business all on their own schedules. Its engrossing epic story and living world created a generation of passionate fans, and the game consistently makes the list of “greatest games of all time”.
- Take the role of Ryo Hazuki.
- Explore a 3D open world searching for clues, examining objects, and talking to NPCs.
- Battle enemies and bosses making full use of the moves of Hazuki-style jujitsu.
- Beat quick-time events (QTEs) and mini-games.
- The best Shenmue experience
- Pioneering Dreamcast classics available for the first time on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC
- Updated user interface
- Choice of modern or classic controls
- Japanese audio available for the first time for a global audience (English audio also available)
- Fully scalable screen resolutions
- An epic legend
- A tale of revenge on a grand scale
- Solve the mystery of your father’s murder
- An experience never to be forgotten
- The world feels alive
- Talk to anyone, scour the world for clues
- NPCs live independent lives on their own schedule
- Faithful recreations of 1980s Japan and Hong Kong, China
- Distract yourself with arcade games, collectibles, duck racing, and more